What You Need To Do After Your Electrocautery Treatment
What To Do
The wound may be sore for several hours after the procedure, once the anesthetic has worn off. Clients are advised to follow the instructions below:
- Keep the dressing on for 24 hours or as advised by the Nurse Practitioner. You may not have a dressing applied at all. This is the discretion of the NP
- Avoid stretching, touching, or using the treated area
- Avoid hot tubs or saunas for 72 hours
- Take Tylenol as advised
- If the wound bleeds, press on it with a clean dry cloth for 20 minutes. Seek medical attention if the wound is still bleeding after this time
- Gently wash the treated area twice per day and pat dry. Apply Polysporin after each wash.
- Seek medical attention if the wound(s) develops increasing redness, swelling, develops discharge or becomes more uncomfortable
The wound generally takes 6 weeks to heal completely. It may be red and raised at first, but the size and redness usually reduces over the course of one week.